Saturday, August 11, 2012

You are Permanently Employed by the Universe"

“You are permanently employed by the Universe.” ~ Marianne Williamson



I heard Marianne say that a few weeks ago at one of her brilliant weekly lectures in Beverly Hills. At the time, I was sitting in the midst of uncomfortable professional stagnancy as a transformational artist manager. My various projects appeared to me either stalled beyond my control, or simply locked into a set-point of financial scarcity. 

“You are permanently employed by the Universe,” she reminded me. 

Yeah, that’s right. Just because my projects at this moment aren’t bearing obvious fruit doesn’t mean I have no value to the Universe. The ways I think they should be working simply may not be the way they’re meant to work right now. 

Perhaps it’s a bit like getting frustrated with a flower for not yielding its gorgeous bud ... when blanketed by thick winter snow.

In winter, things don’t bloom. This is what’s supposed to happen during Winter. It’s a time for deep rest, for processes beyond our awareness, deep within the living matrix, to gather energy for the coming Spring explosion.

But this is only a metaphor for a few projects I’ve been working on. It’s not a metaphor for my entire life. I’m not in hibernation.

I constantly interact with people, weaving in and out of conversations and relationships and communities. Every moment is an opportunity to offer healing and love to the Universe through my simple being.

Actor/Director Tyler Perry said that his success on the screen was due to one thing only: “the grace of God” ... or as George Carlin would say, “The Big Electron”. It’s my job to keep showing up, Tyler reminded me, but I don’t get a say in when the big break happens, if it happens at all.

However, as a permanent employee of the Universe, let go only upon my death (even then?), it seems the Universe is simply asking me to keep showing up. To bring whatever love, understanding, compassion, and levity I can to every moment. 

I know I live in a society that generally insists the proof of my value is in the monetary digits I create, but that doesn’t mean I have to buy into that insanity. My projects are doing what they’re doing. I’m showing up to the best of my ability. The life force flowing powerfully through me won’t be stopped by some silly ideas about the value of a human life as measured by the money it creates or the “success-for-all-to-see” it generates. 

Universe, I’m yours. Where would you have me go today? What would you have me do? What would you have me say? 

... well, today, I’m going to Ash’s gig up in Santa Barbara. That feels pretty good. Must be on the right track.

If this is what “surrender” feels like, it feels pretty damn good. It’s quite liberating, really.

Here’s a recent interview I did with Cool Change Radio about my current experience with Uncertainty. I thought it was a terrible interview as I was going through it - I didn’t feel very good - but then I watched it later and found it pretty funny and comforting. 

Start at 3:20 minutes to skip the opening commercials. And Bradley, that theme music ... brother! Let's find some new theme music together. :)

Can you find a new perspective on how the Universe is employing you today?



Watch live streaming video from coolchange at livestream.com

1 comment:

  1. LOL! Yes, please help our brother Bradley with that theme music!

    ReplyDelete